10 reasons to change to natural skincare products
This week is Natural Beauty Week!
I am so excited by how many people are becoming aware of natural beauty products and making the change.
It makes me think back to before I knew how toxic a lot of the ingredients in skincare is.
So, incase you don;t know how harmful many of the products out there actually are for us, I have put together a list.
10 reasons to change to natural products.
- An Environmental Working Group (EWG) study from 2006 found that the great majority of cosmetic products contain known carcinogens, reproductive toxins and various other harmful chemicals that cause serious diseases like cancer.
- Lipstick or lip gloss wearers ingest around 24-83 milligrams of it per day. 75% of lipstick and lip glosses were found to contain lead during testing of 32 popular products by the university of California.
- Studies on the umbilical cords of babies showed there were more than 200 toxic chemicals present (Environmental Working Group).
- The average woman uses 10-15 different cosmetics daily containing over 515 different synthetic chemicals.
- Perfume contains around 400 different ingredients. Many of these are classified as hazardous waste by the US Environmental Protection Agency.
- ‘Fragrance’ on an ingredients list could hide hundreds of chemicals that can harm your health. Cosmetic companies have the right to withhold the ingredients in fragrance from the consumer as it is considered ‘proprietary ingredients’.
- Your skin is the largest organ and absorbs around 60% of what is put on it. Around 80% of the ingredients in cosmetics have not been tested for safety.
- A 2002 study tested 72 cosmetic products from major U.S. brands and found phthalates in nearly 75% of them. None of them had the word phthalates on the label. Phthalates are endocrine disrupters that mimic oestrogen. They have been linked to breast cancer, reproductive issues in both men and women and if that isn’t bad enough, several animal studies show that exposing mice to endocrine disruptors, including phthalates, causes them to become more obese.
- Formaldehyde – a preservative – can be found in around 1 in 5 cosmetics. These cosmetic products can release small amounts of formaldehyde into the air shortly after they are applied. (think about smelling your favourite shampoo, hairspray or scented moisuriser) Formaldehyde is most dangerous when inhaled.
- More than half of children’s bath soaps, shampoos, lotions, and other personal care products tested by the group Campaign for Safe Cosmetics (CSC) were found to contain 1,4-dioxane and formaldehyde, according to a report released today. Both are known carcinogens.
But don’t worry – Its not all doom and gloom!
There are plenty of beautiful, organic and natural products out there that really do work!
At Earth + Skin, we stock Jacqueline Evans Skincare, Evohe Cosmetics, Bio Sculpture nail products and Eco Tan Tanning products.
As a special Natural Beauty Week Promotion, we are offering 10% off all services if you buy any skincare product.
A great incentive to go natural – pop in to see me on Sunshine Parade just behind Miami One shopping centre in Miami.